Run your car or bakkie on water with a HHO or HHOO generator.
3 May 2011
As of midnight tonight the price of fuel goes up - again. This will no doubt lead to a flurry of searches on the net for a cheaper solution. Overunity, running a car on hydrogen or on anything else other than petrol or diesel will again be the main focus of the searches. But to the ordinary man in the street there are very few affordable options - but there are options.
It is amazing how people are less interested in making their cars run more economically when there is any reduction in the fuel price. As far as running HHO or HHOO through an engine for increased economy, we should still continue to pursue this irrespective of the fuel price - if only for the sake of reducing our carbon footprint (particularly on our lungs and the lungs of our children).
I often don't have the funds for experimenting, but I try to do what I can and that means I will carry on with my quest to overcome the adversities like the MAP sensor issues, etc. Any gains are better than none and with it comes the bonus of less toxic emissions.
I am expecting to hear from Sean sometime this week about the revised PWM. He has designed it so that the controls and the LED display will be mounted on the console while his box of tricks is mounted out of the way with the electrolyser, in the boot.
Sean recently did an internet search and apparently my car does have O˛ sensors - 2 of them! The VW technicians that I spoke to some time ago were of the opinion that there weren't any. I need to hoist my car up to do a thorough search to satisfy myself. If I do find any sensors then maybe by fitting the efie which I was given a while ago I will finally resolve the problem of the engine management system running a rich mixture when it senses the additional oxygen. Hopefully I won't have to fight with the MAP sensor anymore! Now, I just need to find someone with a hoist which is loitering with intent...
30 May 2011
Well, a lot has happened since my last update. From the prototype PWM we have moved on to Version 1 which is working great- thank you Sean! He is already working on Version 2 which promises to be better and hopefully will have some more features, possibly one which will also measure the rate of the gas flow! Sean is looking into this aspect and if he can do it, this will be a wonderful benefit.
I acquired 2 more canisters for cell housings because the original one that I've been using is very much the worse for wear! I didn't have anymore clear rigid tubing for the sight tube, so I pirated the one from the old housing. At first I glued the elbow fittings in with PVC glue - big mistake. I accidentally bumped the sight tube and the one elbow just popped out. I reglued both the elbows with Pratleys and now it's good.
I drilled a hole 6mm into the housing for the temperature sensor. While I was seating it one of the wires broke off - what a bummer! I had to drive to Durban to get another one (I sommer bought 2).
The new temp sensor in and secure with a bit of Prestik, with the wires held in place by some insulation tape.
The display panel: F = frequency, DC = duty cycle, A = amperage and T = temperature. Real cool!
I decided to fit some extra "anti-splash" into the anti-splash guard. I cut a disc out of a piece of scourer.
Secured with Pratleys around the edge of the scourer.
Some insulating plastic to ensure a tight fit.
The anti-splash guard in place on the inside of the lid.
The PWM has given me the opportunity to experiment with different plate configurations just for mos. I also tried different spacings between the plates (3mm and more). This exercise just served to confirm my findings over the past few years: Brian Martin's configuration with 12 plates and spaced apart by only one washer still remains the the best design for gas production and slow temperature increase.
I tried the 12 plate configuration with a 3mm spacing, but is still was not as good as the 1,5mm spaced version in respect of gas production and slow rate of heating up.
I tried 9 plates with 3mm spacings,
with 1,5 mm spacings...
I returned to the 12 plate 1,5mm spacing configuration. Here is the information display from the PWM at start-up, very cool (excuse the bad photo).
I will run this configuration with the duty cycle set at 47%. At this setting, with the concentration of electrolyte, the cell runs at 20 amps which puts out 750ml of HHOO per minute with the cell cold (22ēC). According to accepted principles, this should be enough for my 1.6 liter engine. I will play around with the frequency later.
Sean is presently looking into the issues of the MAP/MAS and O2 sensors. If anyone can engineer a solution around this problem, I believe it is him.
My initial results (fuel figures) have not proved spectacular as can be expected (because of the MAP and/or O2 sensors). Sean believes that the MAP sensor is not the issue, only the O2 sensors. He had a look at the efie that I was given some time ago and built a test circuit for me to set it up on the bench. He is investigating to see if this particular efie is suited to my car or not. I don't understand the gobbledygook but I trust Sean's opinion.
In any event I will continue to run my car with just the HHOO generator for now (no efie) and see whether this doesn't in the mean time get the sensors to settle.
The information presented on this website is for you to look at, learn from, laugh at, or whatever. But if you try anything that you see here it is at your own risk. I will not take responsibility for your stupidity should something go wrong.